Tricuspid, pulmonary, mitral and aortic are four valves in our heart. Among them,the mitral valve is present on the left side of the heart. This valve regulates the flow of oxygenated blood from the heart to the rest of the body parts. Mild damage of this valve can be managed by the medicines, but when it is severe, surgery is needed for repairing or replacement of the valve.
Types of mitral valve replacement
There are two types of valve replacement which are followed by the surgeon for the treatment of life-threatening damage of mitral valve. These procedures are given below.
- Replacement by mechanical valve: Generally, the mechanical valves are made up of materials, like metal, carbon or plastic. Mechanical valves are long lasting and strong. There is a tendency of blood to stick with the valve creating a blood clot. So, the patient will have to take the medicine for thinning the blood.
- Replacement by biological valve: This type of valve is made up of animal tissue or tissues of a donated human heart. Sometimes, tissues of the patient are used for making the replacement of the valve. This valve is not as strong as a mechanical valve. So, there may be needed the replacement of the valve within a period of ten years. Patients will not have to take medicine for thinning the blood.
During the surgery for replacement, the heart becomes stopped and breastbone is kept in divided. At this condition blood circulation of the body is controlled by the heart-lung machine and this type of surgery is known as open heart surgery.
Condition after replacement of the mitral valve
After the replacement of mitral valve, you will be to do your daily activities, like exercise, driving, working etc. Still, you will have to take medicine prescribed by the doctor. You will have to make several tests for the evaluation and monitoring of your condition. The doctor will advise you to follow healthy diet avoiding the use of tobacco.If you have a replacement with biological valve, you will have to wear a bracelet with a medical alert that will remind you for taking the medicine for thinning of the blood. When you are having dental or other surgical procedure, an antibiotic should be taken by you before making the procedure. Bacteria may enter your bloodstream by this procedure and the replaced valve may be affected by the bacterial infection leading to a serious condition that is called bacterial endocarditis. Antibiotics will prevent bacterial endocarditis. Sometimes, you may hear a quiet clicking sound, if you have a mechanical valve in your heart. It indicates that your new valve is working.
Risks for replacement of the mitral valve
Surgery for the replacement of mitral valve may involve some risks. These are given below.
- Heart rhythm problems which are called Arrhythmias
- Bleeding after or during the surgery for damage blood vessels
- Infection in the new valves
- Dysfunction in replaced valves
- Clotting of blood that may cause stroke, heart attack or problems in lungs
- Failure of valve
There are many hospitals in India where you will get the facilities to make the replacement of mitral valve and from their official websites; you will get an idea about Mitral Valve Replacement cost in India.